Friday 29 March 2013

Know Your Place


Be devoted to one another in love. Honour one another above yourselves. Romans 12:10

You must remember the old favourite Sunday School song: “J-O-Y, J-O-Y surely that must mean, Jesus first Yourself last, Others in between”. I remember singing it with gusto when I was 10 years old, little realising the theology that I was enjoying. It seems as we get older, we tend to forget the lessons of our youth, or maybe we think we know better now that we are more mature, and wiser?

The lesson here is simple. As the newer gospel song says, “It’s all about You my Jesus”. We need to put Jesus first, but as well as that, we need to put others before ourselves too. If you are really quick, you will see that you and I need to be last in line. The great paradox is that Jesus said “The last shall be first” so there is a reward to come for our  humility in this life.

Unfortunately, I have come across some older, supposedly wiser churchy folks who still think that the Christian life revolves around them. My concern and question is easy: who is qualified to tell them, or should they be left alone? After all, there is always the real possibility that someone could come knocking at my/your door!

No comments:

Post a Comment