Tuesday 6 November 2012

Walk Humbly

He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6:8 NKJV

It has been impossible to notice that the United States of America is voting for the man who would be president for the next four years. Obama or Romney, they both think they are the man to bring prosperity to this great nation, and both are happy to tell it at every opportunity. By the time you read this, the elections will be over and I/we won’t have to listen to it any more.

My Mum had a saying she used to describe selfish, proud and egotistical people, and it went like this, “..me, myself, and nobody else..”. Wise words, and this is something I am fed up hearing from both presidential candidates. Oh, it’s not just these two, it applies to politicians in the UK, and can be seen in many high level lifestyles here.

We used to joke about men needing to be ‘tall, dark, and handsome’ and then saying, ‘well two out of three isn’t bad’ and it would usually raise a smile. The prophet Micah doesn’t give us the option that two out of three is good enough. Justice, mercy and humility are all needed. I will be glad when the US election is over, and I don’t see and hear the ‘me, myself, and nobody else’ mantra again, or at least not until we have an election in the UK soon. It is worth remembering that there is a very large army of workers behind all political figureheads, from those who will clean up after the mess, to the security man who will be prepared to ‘take a bullet’ for the proud leader. Our nations do not revolve around one man or woman.

Talking about pride, I will leave you with another thought from Solomon, who was a very wise man: Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18 NKJV. We like humility in our friends, and we would like our friends to think the same of us, but apparently politicians and humility don’t go together at all. I can’t help but wonder if man’s pride is the root of the failing spiritual condition of both great nations? Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment