Sunday 11 November 2012

Price of Silence

But to the wicked God says: “What right have you to declare My statutes, or take My covenant in your mouth, Seeing you hate instruction and cast My words behind you? When you saw a thief, you consented with him, and have been a partaker with adulterers. You give your mouth to evil, and your tongue frames deceit. You sit and speak against your brother; you slander your own mother’s son. These things you have done, and I kept silent; you thought that I was altogether like you; But I will rebuke you, and set them in order before your eyes. Psalm 50:16-21 NKJV

Psalm 50 makes for interesting reading, and reminds me of the saying that goes something like: “For evil to prevail, all it takes is for good men (and women) to do nothing”. The Psalmist’s problem was more than being silent, it was that the others  thought he was like them! That is at the heart of the problem, for when we stay silent, others think we agree with their thinking, and that makes them happy and content, because they think they have our blessing.

When was the last time you stayed silent in the face of injustice or wrongdoing, or didn’t just moan about something, but broke your silence and spoke up for righteousness and God’s justice to the right people? Not easy is it, but if we don’t speak up against unrighteousness in our land, then who will?

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment