Thursday 30 August 2012

Unconditional?

He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor punished us according to our iniquities. Psalm 103:10 NKJV

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 NKJV

The question I have today is simple. Is it possible for us as well meaning Christians, to love unconditionally? The verses show that God loves us even when we don’t deserve it, and even continues to love us while we sin! If you have been in church circles for a while, you will know this already, but can I ask you to pause over it for a few seconds? God didn’t think any less of us while we had no thought for Him. His love is, and always is without precondition. Amazing love, as the old hymn puts it, and He even died for us whether we ever accept His love or not. No ifs, no buts, no conditions, just complete and free love. That’s unconditional indeed.

I would suggest that our own ‘unconditional love’ might be different than God’s. Behind our confession of love, there is usually a reason for our action. It possibly is not love for love’s sake alone, but has something to do with us. In fact are we capable of loving unconditionally while here on this sin sick, God starved planet?

When we say we are loving in this most supreme way, are some of these reasons going on within our proud human hearts?
I hope someone will notice?
Makes me feel or look better?
The person I am loving will ‘owe me’ something?
Shows what a good Christian I am?
I need to be shown love too?
I will be loved back, but on my terms?

I believe we will try our level best to love someone in a difficult situation, but can we really love unconditionally while in this human sin tainted shell? I hope you have some ideas, because I would like to know how. I want to be Christlike, but fall short of the mark. What about you? Have you had success in giving this kind of no preconditions love? Can I love like this while accepting in advance that there will be NO reward and NO love returned? Maybe it would be best to go the well worn worldly route of loving and not knowing why we bother, or how we manage it, or because we might get something out of it for ourselves? So, unconditional love: is it possible? As usual, just asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment