Friday 10 August 2012

I Thought

“You know what thought did? It planted a feather, and thought a hen would grow”. My Dad used to say these words from time to time to make a point when my thinking was going wrong, and I didn’t really understand the wisdom of the old saying until recently. We can be victims to our own thoughts, and allow ourselves to be deceived by believing untruths, or more dangerously, part truths. I think these are the worst kinds of personal deceits, and probably what my Dad was warning me against.

We are also guilty (me included) of thinking for our own convenience and benefit. When we haven’t been in touch with an old friend for too long, and we meet them unexpectedly, as an excuse for our lack of contact, we will usually start our conversation with the words “I thought.....” and add the rest to suit our not being in touch. It’s easy. Too easy, and there is no way our friends will question our words. After all, how can it be proved one way or the other? Our thoughts are our own. It also reminds me of the old well worn phrase used in similar circumstances, “Ahwisgonnie”, which correctly translated from the Scottish slang means, “I was going to”. Once again impossible to know for sure if they were actually going to follow through with their intentions. Just another thought.

The common thread to both examples given is that nothing was done. It was either covered with an “I thought”, or “I was going to”, but in each case it was a poor cover for doing nothing. Are we guilty? I know I am, not always, but sometimes. What’s more, I know when I am doing it, and it is no accidental use. What about you? Do you know what it does to someone who is missing from your church fellowship, and you respond in a similar way, as a reason for doing nothing, or not being in touch? Let me help: You are planting a feather, and thinking a hen would grow. Yes, Dad was right. And what’s more, in doing so we are in danger of distancing ourselves even further from those who need that help. What a thought. What a responsibility, but only if we choose it.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 1 Cor 13:11-12 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment