Wednesday 11 April 2012

My Family

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! 1 John 3:1 NIV

How many families do you have? I have two terrific families, and I am so thankful for both. The first, and obvious one, is my earthly family, and I am proud of them all, right down to my Children and Grandchildren. Of course this family includes Aunts, Uncles, Sister, Brothers, ‘In-Laws’, Nieces, Nephews, Cousins and those ‘specially adopted’ members. Each one special in their own way, and with their own unique gifts and talents. You will know my thoughts on family if you have read any of my Blogs. I am not only pleased to be a member of this family, I am proud to be a very small part of it. Not more important than any other, but just a part of the overall good of the unit, and one of the pieces of glue which holds it all together. A family is a gift from God, and is to be cherished.

The Church is a group of ordinary people who make up the other family, the ‘Family of God’, and is not a building. It also consists of different folks at various ages and experience, who help encourage and protect each other. This is not a secret society, but a very open and public family unit. To be a part, you must acknowledge Jesus as Saviour. That’s it! Of course when you do this, you want to reach out to others in His Name. I have been humbled to see this in action recently, where young and old pull together to feed the homeless in one of the biggest cities in the USA, and all in the name of the ‘Family of God’. I have also been overwhelmed once again by the welcome of people who do not know me, but the bond of Christian love crosses all sorts of lines of language and nationality, and makes me feel one in the body. Like before, I am only a small part of the glue which helps to hold it together. Just like my other family!  

Two family units, and both are precious. I am also conscious that sometimes these two family types overlap. Our human and church families merge or overlap, and there can be no greater Blessing or privilege than to play a small part in the life of these two distinct bodies, as they combine into one living union. Am I allowed to be proud? I hope so, because I am, but am so much more thankful to God for allowing me to see this heavenly union in my lifetime, than any earthly pride I may feel. Thank you Lord, for both families.

No comments:

Post a Comment