Thursday 15 March 2012

Foolish?

But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Ephesians 5:3-5 (NIV)

There is no doubt, that at some time in our Christian lives, we have stepped outside the advice given in these verses. If you read the list again, you can easily see that it covers all sorts of activities which are not to be entertained, even in the slightest. Paul makes his advice clear, and we cannot ignore the obvious, because we stake our eternal inheritance on it. Serious words from the apostle.

Cue long faces, and a sorry look on our faces?... NO! I do not hold to the idea that the Christian life is an unhappy one, or one that leads us to avoid jokes which will make us laugh. Who said that God wanted us to be constantly frowning? My dad said I shouldn’t have a ‘face like a Lurgan spade’. I don’t read that I should be ‘Po Faced’ in my Bible. So what’s the problem? My granddaughter even told me recently that Jesus has a sense of humour! I think she is correct.

However, I do think we may have blurred the line of what is considered immoral or impure. What was thought to be against God’s Law 20 years ago, is embraced today. I am not talking about sideline issues like the cinema or dress code on a Sunday. However, I am talking about when we decide that a joke has crossed a decency line. Or how about our ‘street talk’ when church friends are not around to listen? Then there are the jokes we will listen to, and tell, which are close to the bone? There are only a few ways we show our Christ to others. Our words, well chosen, and our actions, purely intentioned. These do NOT need a long face to go along with them, so we should talk and live like our faith means something to us. Then, and maybe only then, will others take notice and recognise that our faith life is real!

No comments:

Post a Comment