Saturday 18 February 2012

Sundown

It has been a long time coming, but eventually two of the worst rags in the UK got into trouble. First of all, the ‘News of the World’ closed down in a hail of bullets over the phone hacking scandal. It could not recover after Milly Dowler’s phone was hacked and a message even deleted to make it look as if she was alive. Her family’s pain must have been unbearable during the time they thought she would be found, and meanwhile a parasite of journalism stood by, waiting to record the story.

Now it has also been announced that senior staff members from major departments of the ‘Sun’ have been arrested over corruption allegations involving bribes to the Police force. The Sun stands for all that is wrong with society in the UK, and sadly has the largest readership of all printed media. Page 3 was paraded under the guise of ‘entertainment’ as they printed scandal and innuendo while keeping their readership with their so called campaigning journalism. For my part I can see no reason for any self respecting person buying this trash. Now they are talking about replacing the ‘News of the World’ with another title from the same stable, called ‘Sun on Sunday’.

Maybe I am not making myself clear, and you might not grasp my feelings too well. The UK would be better off without these rags on the news stands. I for one have had enough of journalism which feeds on other people’s misfortunes, and does not report news, but tries to BE the news. In fact without naming any other titles, I can think of more I would like to get rid of. Maybe, just maybe, there is some justice after all. While the critics bleat about the loss of ‘free print’ (not free speech) I am celebrating the present trouble, and hope for a good and wholesome outcome.

Strangely, I have heard a defence given for these rags. Things like: the crossword, the sports page, and the celebrity gossip. None of these defenders mentioned the whole reason for their existence... news! If you want to get the news, you do not read the Sun, nor did you buy the News of the World, so can we stop the hypocrisy and let both these papers die the death they deserve? Of course, all we have to do is stop buying them. Now what are the chances of that in our immoral, secular United Kingdom? Oh well, I can dream, can’t I?

No comments:

Post a Comment