Thursday 28 January 2010

Second Chances

Second chances are hard to come by in this life. The fact is that we could all do with the odd 'second chance' or two when we think about some of the decisions we have made over the years. Some good, some not so good, and these are the ones I mean about wishing we had another chance at it!


Anyone who has been around church, and sermons, will be well aware that we all get a second chance with God, and sometimes a third, and a fourth and so on. How we need those extra chances in life! But a second chance here? In this life? Not usually, and not likely. They are like hens teeth, few and far between. In fact when we really need them, we don't usually get them.


So what's brought this about then? Well, even if we can't succeed, and take up the second chance fully, there is always the great benefit that 1- it was offered, and 2- whether we made a success of the chance, or not, we have had the opportunity to test ourselves to see if we were up to it. Now the real risk in second chances isn't the person getting it. It lies with the person who is prepared to put their own thoughts to one side and give you the chance again. You know, the chance you failed with previously. And probably with the same person you failed with before. That is what takes the courage.


I have had the benefit of a friend giving me the 'second chance' at something which I had wondered about. Was I up to the job? Would I hack it? Would I fail, yet again? My friend let me try, and no, I wasn't up to the mark, but did he tell me off for the risk he took with me? NO! On the contrary, I learned from my experience, and he let me. He was gracious, and understanding. Hey isn't that a bit like our God who gives us those 'second chances' we all need, and doesn't keep a score of the number of times He lifts us back up to our feet? Yes, I thought you would agree!!

No comments:

Post a Comment