Tuesday 24 November 2009

How Fortunate Am I?


Posted by Picasa
Sometimes I can't make up my mind whether I prefer being outdoors taking landscape photography, in all kinds of weather, or being in a studio taking portraits of really good subjects. On this occasion, the decision was easy. These are just two examples of the impish fun which shone from my little guests. More can be seen on my Gallery at www.picasaweb.google.co.uk/picsmphoto

I believe I am spoiled in that I have been allowed to practice many times on my own family. First my daughters when they were young(er!) and then on to my four terrific grandchildren, who all humoured me over the years to the point where I feel at ease in the company of much younger ages! Perhaps that says a lot about my own mental age :-).

Breaking down barriers is the first step with younger children, and although Mum is always on hand to make sure behaviour is at its best, she seldom has to step in to take over. One of the secrets, if not the biggest secret, in taking portraits of children is having a bit of light fun. This makes everyone feel at ease, including the photographer, and especially the all important subjects. In this case, as you can see from the images, we had a very relaxed and easy session. To think that you actually get to do a job you enjoy as much, and in such good company, is very rewarding!

Names of subjects are not important in this case, but what is important, to me, is the willingness of parents to trust their most treasured possessions into the care of an almost unknown photographer, in the hope that he will do justice to their children, and show them at their best. In this case, this was not difficult. My thanks go to the parents who care enough to want a good, and permanent photographic record of their children for the future. It feels good to be a part of that memory making effort. Of course, as I said earlier, none of this would have been possible without the support and willingness of my own family down through the years, as they humoured their Dad, and eventually, Granda.

I am available for family photography in my local area, and you can get in touch with me through my email address, pics-m_photo@mypostoffice.co.uk and I will get back to you as soon as my schedule permits.

As my own wee 'flower' would have said to me (as she said to many others), 'you don't know how fortunate you are'! Oh yes, my pet, I think I do.....

No comments:

Post a Comment