Monday 9 November 2009

Gordon Brown Can't Spell!!

What a revelation! Gordon Brown, the UK Prime Minister, can't spell, or at least made some mistakes in a hand written letter to the grieving family of a fallen soldier. It seems we like to kick a man when he is down. Like joining in to add a punch when the person is already reeling from everything else going on in his life. Don't get me wrong, I am no great supporter of the PM's policies, but this tells me a couple of things. Firstly, our PM took time to write by hand. Not a safe, impersonal, spell checked computer letter run off when it is needed to sign. No, a hand written letter, mistakes and all, to each and every family of one of our servicemen and women who have fallen in the line of their duty. Had computer generated, 'word perfect' letter been used in this circumstance, we would complain, and in my mind, rightly so!

This also tells me the mindset we have fallen into. Not that the family do not deserve a letter from the PM, and even spelled correctly, but that we overlook the heart, and go for the jugular! I wonder what the fallen soldier would have thought? For my part, I would rather have a Prime Minister with a heart and a desire to do the right thing, than one who is cold, calculating, and got all his spelling right in a piece of computer output, checked for his convenience by spelling software.

Like all other like minded people in our country, I deplore war, and the need to wage warfare. It is a wart on our civilisation that men and women still die in conflicts around the world, but let's try to separate in our minds when a well intentioned action, from the heart, is really an insult, whatever the spelling! Gordon Brown, like us, will not ultimately be judged on his spelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment