Wednesday 26 July 2023

Your God?

“You shall have no other God(s) before Me”. Exodus 20:3 


I would suggest that since the first commandment gives us the foundation for the other 9 commandments, and much of the Bible, it must be important. We should therefore treat it with respect and reverence. But do we do that, even and especially as so called ‘committed Christians?’


What or who is your God? Please don’t patronise me by suggesting that you have no God other than the God of Exodus 20:3. I can think of a few, and they include, but are not limited to: my house, my car, my spouse, my child, my parents, my bank account, and the list goes on. Question: Would any of these ‘gods’ keep us from going to church? I would suggest not, unless they were used in an extreme case by an extreme person. 


So, what kind of ‘gods’ might keep us away from the place of worship? What would you rather do, or where would you rather be, instead of church? It is possible that some in the previous list might keep us from church, but there is another which certainly would keep us from our place of worship. I have seen it show up at all ages, from primary school age, right through into mature adulthood. The reason is simple. This one can involve the whole family, especially when encouraged in the young, by their parents and once started, it is almost impossible to stop.


Sport! Any kind of sport, whether actively involved, or as an armchair participant. You will inevitably hear the words, “but this is the final. Or Semi final. Or an important draw etc etc…” I know of no greater potential drain on church attendance, or even membership than sport.


No comments:

Post a Comment