Monday 26 June 2017

Why This Church?

Do you know what your church stands for? The things it accepts or frowns on? Have you checked anything out to your own satisfaction? Whoa, too many questions there I hear you say. However, there are reasons why we find ourselves in our particular place of worship, and the biggest one is that we just like it there!

I was brought up in a Christian home, with Godly parents, so it was easy for me to see that the Christian faith actually works, and I wanted some of that for myself and my family. Added to that was my observation that most non church goers I knew didn’t seem to fare as well when hit hard by life. So, for years I went along to the same fellowship, and grew up ‘in the church’. Not a bad thing at all. How about you? But why your particular church? We can give different reasons.

I was sent to Sunday School as a child, and never really stopped. Perhaps that’s your story too. Some of my best friends still go there, and we use it as a place to meet up. The singing and sermons make me feel good about myself. Or maybe, like me you have experienced a personal encounter with the living God, and no other reason is as important. Let’s go back to the beginning. The church you attend is there for a reason, but do you know and understand what that reason is? Do you know how it differs in doctrine and practice from other churches? If not, don’t you think it is worth finding out?


Shouldn’t we find out what our church believes about things like: The Bible, Creation, Evolution, Salvation, Heaven, Hell, The Christian Life, Sanctification, Marriage, Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Homosexuality to name just a few. I hope I have given you something to think about, but the most important thing is this, don’t stop going to church!

No comments:

Post a Comment