Monday 14 October 2013

Reconciliation

It can mean reaching out to bridge a gap when a relationship is broken, and that can be between people, within business, or in church circles where it can be between us and God. We can even make it personal and make that much needed reconciliation between my/your own sinful life and a loving and forgiving God.

Reconciling something can also mean trying to balance in our minds the difference between what someone says, and what they do. We do it all the time, and in almost all areas of our life. We do it without thinking when we drive, or shop. Does the car indicator mean what it says? What does he mean when he flashes his headlights at a crossroads. Does the newspaper headline tell me the whole story, or is something hidden? We balance our decisions on a regular basis.

Sadly, we have to do it in church too. Do we live those things we claim to believe? Do our lives reflect the teaching of the church denomination, but most important of all, does my life balance out with the teaching of the Word of God as set out in the Old and New Testaments? Reconciliation at its root, and by its very nature is personal. It comes down to you or me being true to our word, and living the life that our faith says we believe.

Now it’s question time. What do we do when faced with a sincere Christian who looks on and says they have a serious difficulty in reconciling some church practices, with the  teaching of the New Testament as he sees it? What if the person is a good and sincere friend? What if you see these same practices in your own church? What if you are unsure, but can’t bring yourself to face the imbalance, or the fact that reconciliation may be needed? But here is the biggest question: what if your friend is just plain wrong? That, I believe, is when the Spirit given fruit of discernment and love must be used

2 comments:

  1. We love them even when they are wrong.

    grhh..it is not easy no, my own husband has made some bad choices lately...so here i sit now in debt with his credit card up to the limit, and it is me that is also now trying to pay that debt off...a debt that was hidden from me
    my heating stopped working in may, yet still here i sit with no heating system in place though i thank god i have electric fan heater to help and now no hot water too as it blew up..well the electric fuse wiring whatever stopped on sunday and yet my husband was working away at others first...

    so what do i do...i moaned, oh yes for i am still learning to be gracious but then i prayed and prayed and prayed again until most of my anger left me

    so now its my turn to reach out to him and love him...though i don't want to as he did not put the family needs first and turned up very late when he knew i was cooking for him also...i was not amused.

    we have to reconcile to others as christ would want us too and it is not easy...

    but isn't what christ wants more important than our own feelings

    unity a word that comes to mind many times just lately in both church and in my case family issues... unity or love another word for the same meaning

    first lady, trying to grin and bear in it all! x
    oh god help me for my grace has run dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First lady,

      thank you for sharing your troubles from your heart. I am a loss to empathise, but I can sympathise and try to understand. I can also pray for you, and the whole situation you are in, and I am aware there are other issues you deal with on a daily basis, which graciously you did not mention.

      I have put your situation on our website prayer list, and I feel this is a way we can draw together as God's people when one of us hurts. I was very taken by your words, 'I prayed and prayed and prayed again until most of my anger left me.'

      I pray God's strength, leading and blessing on you as you lean on the Great Comforter. May God Bless you richly, David.

      Delete