Monday 27 May 2013

What Does It Take?

There were times in my young life, when I questioned the benefits of being raised in a Christian home. Oh, I loved my parents, and know they were saintly in life and example, but what was I missing? Were those forbidden fruits tastier than the Christian life I had readily adopted? My pals seemed to be ok the way they were, and they weren’t off the rails by any stretch of the imagination. I was at that formative time of life. I was in my teens, so what was I really saved from? What does it take to know?

Fast forward a few decades, and I have a wholly different perspective on life. Being a dad and a granda has made me see my life in a different way. My daughter reminded me recently that God is already in our future, but we don’t know it until we get there. Recently, I found myself listening to the heart of one of my wider family as they unfolded some of their troubles. God is working in their own lives, but the problems encountered by their own family made me oh so very thankful for the things I was saved from. You see, I don’t know what I was saved from, and that’s the great thing that I can see now. I didn’t always feel this way, but God was gracious in granting me salvation at an early age. I believe I was saved from, well, a lot!

Now when I pray for others with problems I never had to face myself, I find myself twice blessed. I am blessed to have known God’s grace early in my life, and I am also blessed that I can pray with thankfulness that God can indeed save the souls of people from one extreme of life to the other. God is able, and He can make Himself known to us in simple faith. However, there is a catch. Isn’t there always? The catch is that we have to ask Him for His gift of salvation. Easy, isn’t it? Not really, because the biggest blockage we will face is accepting that we really do need a Saviour, and it doesn’t matter if we are young or old(er).

One of the lessons in my own life is this. Actions have consequences, and although God can and will help us deal with each one, He doesn’t take them away. They have been of our own making and we have to face them head on, but as I listened to this wise, faithful and praying Mum talk about her daughter’s sad consequences of bad decisions made, I was reminded yet again of God’s faithfulness. This troubled girl has the benefit of a praying Mum on her side, who will not let go of God’s promises as she intercedes on her daughter’s behalf who is also now beginning to realise that her Mum is the best friend and support she will ever have, and to cap it off, her Mum also knows she is not alone, as there are many other Christians who will pray for them in their time of urgent  and immediate need. My question is simple: Will you join with me and please pray for Joanne and her young child? You may never know or see the answer to your prayers this side of eternity, so thank you and God Bless your faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment