Wednesday 19 December 2012

Ho Ho Ho


I love the season of Christmas, and all the attractions of the season, including the last minute rush, the tinsel and the tree. But the presents give me a problem, because I don’t have much of an imagination, so I rely heavily on the help and advice of my daughters, and even my grandchildren. Ok I admit it, I like them being involved in my Christmas too.

The ‘reason for the season’ is nothing like anything that is pushed at us through the TV/Radio/Magazine adverts. It has nothing at all to do with that nice red suited happy Santa-man and his reindeer. Sorry Santa, because I do like you and even your reindeer who must be the best fed animals on Christmas Eve. The symbology of the tree with lights and decorations, and gifts laid round the base is not lost on me, but it’s not about that, and I love all of this too. Oh and then there is the family dinner, as we sit round a bountiful feast, fit for a king or queen, and enjoy each other’s company, especially those we might not have seen for months. It is good to be together with friends and revisit the strength of your friendships. It’s not that either.

The baby in the stable stall does not bellow out ‘ho ho ho’ as we approach Him. He does not need our decorated trees and gifts, after all He is the Creator of everything anyway. In this season, let us remember that HE IS THE GIFT, and not someone we need to keep happy by giving to Him. Except your heart, but that’s not in the usual Christmas narrative we see or hear is it? The old saying is still true, “Wise men (and women) came to Jesus, and they still do today”.

She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21 NIV

Happy Christmas to one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment