Tuesday 9 October 2012

Church Reality

We all know that the church is not the building, but the people, as the old chorus tells us, but hold that thought. I would ask you to consider that we belong to two churches, and neither of them is the brickwork. Both are people centred.

The first church is the establishment formed by their statements of faith, and the standards to which it adheres. So, you might belong to a mainstream national church, or be labelled as an Evangelical, Baptist, Salvationist, Catholic, Holiness, Calvinist, Arminian etc etc. Belonging to one of these groups will broadly determine your church’s belief system, but not necessarily yours, or indeed the majority of the congregation. I have found that most folks go to a church because they feel comfortable there. It may be the music, or the minister, or the friends you make. Only very occasionally will it be the denomination.

The second church, and in my opinion, the more important church, doesn’t filter down from the statements of faith of a denomination, but from the congregation, or roots, upwards. In other words, it doesn’t really matter what it says on the tin (the manual), the content will likely be different. It may even bear no resemblance to the church’s core beliefs. Too strong? Think I am wrong?

I believe I am right in thinking that members of my own church who are over 55, will know and understand fully what their church’s core belief is, and claim the experience. There is usually one main difference between the protestant denominations, and in mine it’s Holiness. Sanctification. Second Blessing. This teaching sets the bar high, but it is no more than is required by God’s Word: ...as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy”. 1 Peter 14-16 NKJV

My particular church denomination is over 100 years old, and does not resemble the faith group it once did. Maybe we have become middle aged, or elderly (in church years), or maybe we have ‘moved with the times’, or maybe just maybe ‘the Glory has departed’. How bad and sad does that sound? So do you recognise my concern that we become the church we deserve? Maybe I am wrong, and things are really much better now, than they ever were before, and I would like to understand if this is the case. I understand that we all then have a responsibility to become the ‘Church’ in its true form, and I also recognise that I am an individual part of that body of believers by denomination, but more importantly by personal conviction, decision and witness. I pray I will be found worthy by the Head of the only Church that matters.

I know this piece will be read by people of various church groups and denominations, and so I would appreciate your own thoughts and experiences (if you feel you can comment freely).

No comments:

Post a Comment