Saturday 30 June 2012

Prod

When you need a prompt to get out of a rut, where does it come from? When that prod is overdue and you wonder how you will make it through, who comes to the rescue? I suppose it could be from someone you know, like friends or family. You can usually depend on family at least, but what if it needs to be someone else? Someone who is independent of your situation, and doesn’t really know your needs or wants?

I think the best ‘prods’ are from the unexpected person. It can mean a lot to be encouraged by someone who has no reason to be your helper. The thing is, they probably don’t even know that they helped, or by how much. So, it also follows that they helped, just by being themselves, with no front or face or ulterior motive. Maybe not even a Christian one.

We expect a lot from our friends, even our church family, and it is misplaced. One of my lessons is that your/my help and ‘prod’ will not necessarily come from the folks you expect, but God will ensure it comes anyway, and at the right time. So, do I expect my encouragement prod to come from my church family? No, I am wiser now. My message to you is, when you feel down and depressed (and there is every possibility you will), don’t get impatient waiting for your help coming from those you think should be there for you. Wait patiently for God’s timing instead. He will always come through for you in the right season. It probably won’t come from any other quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment